☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 cchopped onions
3 cchopped celery
1 lbunsalted butter
1 galno salt chicken stock, more or less depending on dryness of the bread.
1 Tbspground black pepper
2 cground poultry
1/4 cfresh or dried sage
1/2 cchopped fresh parsley
4 lbdried bread cubes (about 33-35 cups)
How to Make Bread Stuffing or Dressing with Variations
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Sauté onion and celery in butter until lightly browned.
- Add water or stock and salt, pepper and poultry seasonings. Cook until hot.
- Remove from heat and add bread.
- Toss lightly until thoroughly mixed.
- Avoid overmixing to prevent soggy, compacted dressing.
- Stuffing should be moist but not wet.
- Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until heated through. Do not overcook.
- HINT: Use 3 ounces of poultry base added to the 1 gallon of water. Stock or soup base is a concentration of cooked meat, poultry, seafood or vegetables, plus cooking juices and seasonings. It generally comes in a puree or paste-like form. Most are highly salted. Reduce or omit salt from the recipe when using the base. Find this product in some supermarkets or in restaurant or catering supply stores.
- VARIATIONS: Sausage: Reduce amount of bread cubes by about 1 cup. Add 2 pounds pork sausage, cooked and well-drained.
Apple: Reduce amount of bread cubes by about 1 cup. Add 1 pound tart apples, finely chopped, to the bread and liquid mixture
Mushroom: Reduce celery and by about 1 cup each. Sauté 2 pounds fresh mushrooms with the vegetables
Chestnut: Reduce amount of bread cubes by about 1/2 cup. Add 1 pound cooked, chopped chestnuts.
Oyster: Add 1½ pounds oysters to the bread and liquid mixture
Fruit and Nut: Add 1 pound raisins or dried cranberries and 2 cups chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds to the bread and liquid mixture. Lightly brown the nuts in 1 stick of butter before adding to stuffing.