☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 3 c
- chopped onions
- 3 c
- chopped celery
- 1 lb
- unsalted butter
- 1 gal
- no salt chicken stock, more or less depending on dryness of the bread.
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- ground black pepper
- 2 c
- ground poultry
- 1/4 c
- fresh or dried sage
- 1/2 c
- chopped fresh parsley
- 4 lb
- dried bread cubes (about 33-35 cups)
How to Make Bread Stuffing or Dressing with Variations
- 1Preheat oven to 325° F.
- 2Sauté onion and celery in butter until lightly browned.
- 3Add water or stock and salt, pepper and poultry seasonings. Cook until hot.
- 4Remove from heat and add bread.
- 5Toss lightly until thoroughly mixed.
- 6Avoid overmixing to prevent soggy, compacted dressing.
- 7Stuffing should be moist but not wet.
- 8Transfer to prepared pans.
- 9Bake for 45-60 minutes or until heated through. Do not overcook.
- 10HINT: Use 3 ounces of poultry base added to the 1 gallon of water. Stock or soup base is a concentration of cooked meat, poultry, seafood or vegetables, plus cooking juices and seasonings. It generally comes in a puree or paste-like form. Most are highly salted. Reduce or omit salt from the recipe when using the base. Find this product in some supermarkets or in restaurant or catering supply stores.
- 11VARIATIONS: Sausage: Reduce amount of bread cubes by about 1 cup. Add 2 pounds pork sausage, cooked and well-drained.
Apple: Reduce amount of bread cubes by about 1 cup. Add 1 pound tart apples, finely chopped, to the bread and liquid mixture
Mushroom: Reduce celery and by about 1 cup each. Sauté 2 pounds fresh mushrooms with the vegetables
Chestnut: Reduce amount of bread cubes by about 1/2 cup. Add 1 pound cooked, chopped chestnuts.
Oyster: Add 1½ pounds oysters to the bread and liquid mixture
Fruit and Nut: Add 1 pound raisins or dried cranberries and 2 cups chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds to the bread and liquid mixture. Lightly brown the nuts in 1 stick of butter before adding to stuffing.