3-4 mediumonions, cut into rings & separated
1/2 to 1/3 cmaple syrup (or packed brown sugar)
1 1/2 tspgarlic powder
1 tspdry mustard
1/4 capple cider vinegar
1 can(s)(15 oz) dark red kidney beans, drained
1 can(s)(15 oz) lima beans, drained
1 can(s)(16 oz) butter beans, drained
1 can(s)(16 oz) baked beans, drain off sauce
How to Make Homesteaders' Four-Bean Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 3 quart casserole dish. You don't need to preheat oven right away because the first part of this recipe calls for cooking some ingredients on the stove top.
- In large skillet cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. When cool, dice and set aside. Reserve drippings!
- Add onion slices to fat in hot skillet.
- Add syrup or brown sugar to skillet, along with garlic powder and dry mustard.
- Reduce heat to medium and CAREFULLY add vinegar, slowly. Take care because hot steam will rise.
- Cover and cook this mixture for 20 minutes.
- Add beans (all kinds) to casserole dish. Stir in onion mixture and bacon pieces. Mix well. Cover and bake in 350* oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and let stand for 20-25 minutes before serving.