☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 lbsweet potatoes
1, 14 oz can(s)pineapple tidbits in unsweetened juice
4 Tbspbutter, cold
4 Tbspbrown sugar, dark firmly packed
·butter, room temperature
1 pkgmarshmallows, see notes
How to Make Hawaiian Style Sweet Potato Casserole
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub unpeeled sweet potatoes. Place on a cookie sheet, bake for 30 minutes, then puncture several times with a fork. Cook an additional 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Cool, peel, and mash in a bowl.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Drain pineapple tidbits, reserving the liquid.
- Melt butter in bowl in the microwave. Add butter, brown sugar, and salt and combine with mashed sweet potatoes.
- Stir pineapple juice into potato mixture until it reaches the desired consistency. Fold in the reserved pineapple tidbits.
- Butter a 2 quart, shallow casserole dish. Spoon potato/pineapple mixture into the prepared dish.
- Cover with foil and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Cover the top with marshmallows. Return to oven, uncovered, and bake until marshmallows are browned as desired. Serve.
- NOTES: You can use any size marshmallows you desire; if using jumbo, cut in half before placing on top of the heated potato mixture.