Great Grandma's Dressing!
But this is what I grew up eating, and I just love it!
Easy to make in larger quantities, by double or tripling the recipe!
- loaf of good bakery bread
- 1 1/2 stick
- large onion, cut very small
- 1 1/2 c
- celery, cut very small
- medium to large apple, (gala or red delicious ) cored, peeled, and chopped
- 2 to 3 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Great Grandma's Dressing!
- 1Stale the slices of bakery bread. I let them air dry on baking sheets, until they are just right.
- 2In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the onion, celery and apple. Simmer until the onion and celery is very soft, and the apple has pretty much cooked away. Set aside.
- 3Slice at a time, lightly dip staled bread into a large bowl of water. Don't let it get soggy, squeeze out excess water, and tear bread into small pieces.
- 4After you have completed dipping and tearing the bread, pour butter mixture over the torn bread, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5I usually end up using 3 beaten eggs. Add them now, and mix well.
- 6Now you are ready to stuff your bird, or cook in a baking dish.
This year I cooked it in the crock pot!