J. White Harris
I like to heat up a bowl of this rice, add a couple of poached eggs over the top, and it makes a delicious breakfast or lunch.
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp
- butter or bacon drippings
- 1 large
- yellow onion, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 2 to 3 large
- tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 3 c
- beef or chicken broth
- 2 c
- long grain rice
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
How to Make Tomato Rice
- 1Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- 2Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, salt, and pepper, and cover. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered until the rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- 4Fluff with a fork and garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.