Mertzie's Tasty Brown Rice Salad
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 c
- cooked brown rice
- chicken broth (to cook rice)
- half an onion (to cook w/ rice)
- leftover lemons (to cook w/ rice) or a lemon teabag
- grapeseed oil, (roasted garlic, if you can find it)
- 1/2-1 c
- each: chickpeas; celery; carrots; cucumbers; red, yellow, and orange peppers; tomatoes; scallions; cauliflower
- 1/4 c
- (each) fresh basil and fresh parsley, chopped
- cup, olive oil
- cup, white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- lemon juice
- 6-8 oz
- feta cheese, crumbled
How to Make Mertzie's Tasty Brown Rice Salad
- 1Cook the brown rice in chicken broth, not water, according to the package directions. I added half an onion & a lemon teabag for flavor. When cooked through & drained, I tossed w/ some roasted garlic grapeseed oil to keep moist. Bring to room temp.
- 2Chop the veggies into small bite sized pieces and rough chop the herbs. I didn't cook any of the veggies, except for the carrots for just a few minutes to make them easier to cut.
- 3Mix up the wine vinegar, olive oil, honey & lemon juice well.
- 4Add the veggies (except for tomatoes) to the rice when cooled down, and mix. Add some fresh ground black pepper to your taste & stir.
- 5Slowly add a little bit of the dressing and stir. You don't need much, and the fresh basil & parsley give the rice a lot of flavor. Set aside the dressing for when you serve.
- 6Sprinkle w/ feta cheese and stir. You can refrigerate for a few hours, and then take out & taste to see if you want more dressing. Arrange the tomatoes on top before serving. (See pic).
- 7I served this at room temp, which was great, but it was good cold straight from the fridge the next day too. Enjoy!