Portuguese Tomato Rice (Arroz de Tomate)
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1 large
- yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 large
- tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 3 c
- chicken broth (or beef)
- 2 c
- long grain rice, uncooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
How to Make Portuguese Tomato Rice (Arroz de Tomate)
- 1Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- 2Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, salt, and pepper, and cover. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered until the rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- 4Fluff with a fork and garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.