RICE W/FRIED BANANAS (SALLYE)
You won't regret it.
5 Tbspolive oil
2 mediumgreen bananas
2 tspgranulated sugar
1 pinchground cinnamon
1 pinchground allspice
1 cuncooked wild rice
2 cstock (vegetable, cicken or fish)
How to Make RICE W/FRIED BANANAS (SALLYE)
- NOTE: It is important that bananas are green and firm; otherwise they will become soggy
- Place liquid stock in medium size saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil.
Add rice and a pinch of salt, cover tightly and turn heat to low.
Simmer the rice for 18-20 minutes just until tender and remove from heat. Keep covered and set aside to cool.
- Slice 2 bananas into 1/2 inch slices and place in a bowl with sugar. Toss gently so that all banana pieces are coated with sugar.
- Peel onion and finely dice. (Using food processor is easier and quicker). Set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons of oil in large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
When oil is shimmering, add the bananas in a single layer to the hot oil.
Cook 1 or 2 minutes on each side until bananas are nice and brown.
Transfer bananas to a plate and set aside.
- Add the 3 remaining tablespoons of oil to the pan, allow to heat for 1 minute, then add the onion.
Sauté a few minutes until the onions are softened and translucent. Season with the cinnamon and allspice.
- Add the cooked rice to the onions and cook until heated through, stirring with a wooden spoon constantly.
Remove from heat, add the bananas and fold into rice mixture with the wooden spoon.
- An excellent side dish for just about any kind of meat.