RICE W/FRIED BANANAS (SALLYE)
You won't regret it.
- 5 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 medium
- green bananas
- 2 tsp
- granulated sugar
- 1 medium
- 1 pinch
- ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch
- ground allspice
- 1 c
- uncooked wild rice
- 2 c
- stock (vegetable, cicken or fish)
How to Make RICE W/FRIED BANANAS (SALLYE)
- 1NOTE: It is important that bananas are green and firm; otherwise they will become soggy
- 2Place liquid stock in medium size saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil.
Add rice and a pinch of salt, cover tightly and turn heat to low.
Simmer the rice for 18-20 minutes just until tender and remove from heat. Keep covered and set aside to cool.
- 3Slice 2 bananas into 1/2 inch slices and place in a bowl with sugar. Toss gently so that all banana pieces are coated with sugar.
- 4Peel onion and finely dice. (Using food processor is easier and quicker). Set aside.
- 5Place 2 tablespoons of oil in large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
When oil is shimmering, add the bananas in a single layer to the hot oil.
Cook 1 or 2 minutes on each side until bananas are nice and brown.
Transfer bananas to a plate and set aside.
- 6Add the 3 remaining tablespoons of oil to the pan, allow to heat for 1 minute, then add the onion.
Sauté a few minutes until the onions are softened and translucent. Season with the cinnamon and allspice.
- 7Add the cooked rice to the onions and cook until heated through, stirring with a wooden spoon constantly.
Remove from heat, add the bananas and fold into rice mixture with the wooden spoon.
- 8An excellent side dish for just about any kind of meat.