Congri (Cuban Black Beans and Rice)
1 lbdry black beans
3 tspvegetable oil
3 tspolive oil
1 mediumbell pepper, chopped
1/4 tsporegano, dried
1 lblong grain rice, uncooked
1 largeonion, chopped
1 1/2 tspsalt (or more to taste)
1/4 tspground black pepper
How to Make Congri (Cuban Black Beans and Rice)
- Soak beans overnight before cooking. Cook beans in six cups of water by bringing to a boil. Remove and let stand for about 60 minutes. DO NOT discard the liquid.
- In cast iron skillet place the vegetable oil and rice and stir until the grains get oily. This prevents the rice grains from sticking to each other.
- Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, cumin, bay leaf, oregano, black pepper and salt.
- Add 2 cups liquid from the beans, bring to boil and cook on slow heat for about 25 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed by the rice. Lower the flame, cover the pot with foil or a lid to seal in the steam.
- If the rice is still hard, add more bean liquid, a little at a time. Cook until rice is well done.
- Once the rice is ready, add the beans that have drained and stir. Saute one chopped garlic clove with the olive oil in a small pan and pour over the rice to add addiitional flavor and shine.