- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
How to Make Charleston Red Rice
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
2. Bring the rice, water, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. While the rice is cooking, cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve about 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings in the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Drain the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels; crumble the bacon once cooled enough to handle.
4. Cook and stir the onions in the reserved bacon drippings until translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the crumbled bacon, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce; bring the mixture to a simmer, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Spoon the cooked rice into the prepared baking dish and stir the tomato-bacon mixture into the rice until evenly combined.
5. Cover the dish and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Show 2 Comments & Reviews