★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1/2 c
- blanched almonds
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 c
- unconverted white long-grain rice
- 2 c
- chicken stock, fresh or canned
- 1/2 tsp
- white sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp
- ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make AZERBAIJAN PILAF
- 1Spread almonds on a cookie sheet in a single layer and toast in a 350-degree oven for about 5 minutes, watching closely so they don't burn. Set aside.
- 2Melt the butter in a heavy 1-1/2 to 2-quart casserole over moderate heat. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the rice turns somewhat white and opaque. Stir in the sesame seeds, then pour in the chicken stock, ginger, salt and a few grindings of black pepper.
- 3Stirring constantly, bring to a boil, then cover the casserole tightly and bake in the center of the oven at 350-degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the liquid has all been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- 4Sprinkle the reserved almonds over the rice and serve at once.
Try this dish alongside Baked Chicken, Russian Style.