Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas)
Check out my homemade sofrito recipe for the base of this dish.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 Tbspcooking oil or bacon fat
4 ozcubed ham or cooked pork
3cubes of sofrito (recaito)
2 clong grain rice, uncooked
1 can(s)gandules (pigeon peas) or kidney or black beans, undrained
4 cwater or chicken broth or combo (add extra 1/4 cup for brown rice)
1 pkgsazon con culantro y achitoe
1/2 can(s)tomato sauce (the small can- optional)
10green olives or 2 tbs capers (optional)
How to Make Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas)
- In a large saucepan, or preferably a cast aluminum caldero, Heat oil or bacon fat on med-hi. Add ham or pork and saute until almost browned.
- Add sofrito cubes and saute, thawing and breaking up the cubes until it is darker and translucent. About 3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir continuously, lightly browning the rice, taking care not to burn. About 1 minute.
- Add beans with juice, water/broth, and Sazon. Bring to a boil. Allow water to boil almost away (no need to stir, just let it do its thing), to about the same level of the rice or just below.
- Add tomato sauce and olives/capers, if using. Give one final stir to incorporate, and cover.
Lower heat to med-low and let simmer 30 minutes. 37 if using brown rice.
Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. stir, then enjoy!