Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas)
Check out my homemade sofrito recipe for the base of this dish.
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil or bacon fat
- 4 oz
- cubed ham or cooked pork
- cubes of sofrito (recaito)
- 2 c
- long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 can(s)
- gandules (pigeon peas) or kidney or black beans, undrained
- 4 c
- water or chicken broth or combo (add extra 1/4 cup for brown rice)
- 1 pkg
- sazon con culantro y achitoe
- 1/2 can(s)
- tomato sauce (the small can- optional)
- green olives or 2 tbs capers (optional)
How to Make Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas)
- 1In a large saucepan, or preferably a cast aluminum caldero, Heat oil or bacon fat on med-hi. Add ham or pork and saute until almost browned.
- 2Add sofrito cubes and saute, thawing and breaking up the cubes until it is darker and translucent. About 3 minutes.
- 3Add rice and stir continuously, lightly browning the rice, taking care not to burn. About 1 minute.
- 4Add beans with juice, water/broth, and Sazon. Bring to a boil. Allow water to boil almost away (no need to stir, just let it do its thing), to about the same level of the rice or just below.
- 5Add tomato sauce and olives/capers, if using. Give one final stir to incorporate, and cover.
Lower heat to med-low and let simmer 30 minutes. 37 if using brown rice.
Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. stir, then enjoy!