Amy's Rice & Peas (with butter sauce)
Deanna Norris Marini
Although this dish is entitled Rice and Peas, the "Peas" are actually Dark Red Kidney Beans as this is what they call them in the Cayman Islands.
- onions chopped
- 1/2 pkg
- red kidney beans dry,
- celery ribs chopped
- 1 tsp
- dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp
- dried parsley flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp
- bacon strips fried crisp and crumbled
- 2 qt
- 1 c
How to Make Amy's Rice & Peas (with butter sauce)
- 1Fry Bacon, drain on paper toweling and crumble. Saute onions and celery in bacon fat until softened. Add Thyme, Parsley, Accent, Salt and Pepper plus *2 qts. of water and *Kidney beans and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and let cook for approx 2 hrs or until Kidney beans are softened.
- 2Strain and measure liquid after beans are cooked. You will need 2 1/2 cups, if needed add enough water to liquid to make 2 1/2 cups, return everything to the pot and bring to a boil, add 1 Cup Rice cover and simmer on LOW until all liquid has been absorbed.
- 3This dish is served with a simple butter sauce made by melting 1 stick of butter, add 1 chopped onion, 1/2 tsp. thyme and parsley flakes to taste & cook until onion is softened.
- 4**If you want to save time you can substitute 1 can of Dark Red Kidney beans for the dried, this will save you approx 2 hrs cooking time, and you don't have to strain and remeasure the liquid just add 2 1/2 cups water for the 1 cup rice.