U. S. Senate Bean Soup
- 1 lb
- great nothern or navy beans
- meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 3 qt
- water to cover the beans
- 3 medium
- onions chopped finley
- 3 clove
- minced garlic
- stalks celery. finely chopped
- 1/4 c
- finely chopped parsley
- 1 c
- mashed potatoes or 1/3 cup instant potato flacks
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- salt to taste
- snippets of parsley or chives to garnish
How to Make U. S. Senate Bean Soup
- 1Place beans in a pot of cold water and soak overnight, drain the beans and replace the water to cook.
- 2Using a 5-quart pot , place the drained beans in with 3-quarts of cold water.Bring the water to a boil , reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 2 hours along with the ham bone.
- 3In the meantime chop the onions, garlic, celery, and parsley. When the beans and meat has cooked for 2 hours , add the chopped vegatables and the potatos to the pot. Simmer for one hour longer or until beans are tender.
- 4Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bones and meat from the soup, Dice the meat into 1/2 inch pieces and return to the pot. Discard the bones. Garnish with snippets of parsley or chives when ready to ladle into bowls.