Syracuse Salt Potatoes
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 8 c
- 1 1/4 c
- kosher salt
- 3 lb
- small or fingerling potatoes (white potatoes are traditional, but red-skin potatoes work equally well)
- 1/2 c
- butter (1 stick), but into pieces
- 1 tsp
- black pepper
- 1 to 2 Tbsp
- snipped fresh herbs (optional)
- 1/4 tsp
- 4 slice
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
OPTIONAL GARNISHES (A MODERN UPDATE)
How to Make Syracuse Salt Potatoes
- 1Bring salt and water to a boil. When water is boiling, add potatoes (skin on) and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- 2Drain potatoes in a strainer and place pot back on stove over medium heat. Add butter to the pot. After about a minute, when butter is just melted, add potatoes, pepper and herbs (if using). Remove from heat, toss potatoes to coat with seasoned butter, and serve immediately.
For added color, add about 1/4 teaspoon paprika and/or 4 strips of cooked and crumbled bacon.