SWEET POTATO GRATIN INCLUDES CANADIAN BACON/ONIONS
sweet potatoes or yams, which are sliced, cooked and tossed with melted butter and brown sugar. Half of potatoes are arranged in baking dish and topped with caramelized onions and canadian bacon. The remaining potatoes cover the onions, and a coating of fresh bread crumbs, shredded white Cheddar and herbs is the final addition. These can be made a day in advance and are absolutely delicious!
- 2 1/2- 3/4 lb
- sweet potatoes or yams,peeled and sliced into 1/4 in thick rounds
- 1/4 c
- butter, unsalted
- 3 Tbsp
- light brown sugar, packed
- salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb
- onions, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp
- granulated sugar
- 6-8 oz
- thinly sliced lean canadian bacon, cut into 1/4x1 inch strips
- 1/2 c
- chicken stock
- 3/4 c
- fresh bread crumbs
- 3/4 c
- shredded white cheddar cheese (about 4 oz)
- 1 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1 tsp
- dried sage leaves
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted, cut into small pieces
How to Make SWEET POTATO GRATIN INCLUDES CANADIAN BACON/ONIONS
- 1To prepare Filling, cook sweet potatoes either by steaming them 10 minutes or blanching them in boiling salted water to cover 4 to 5 minutes. (Potatoes should be tender but not mushy.) Remove, pat dry and place in large bowl.
- 2Melt 2 Tablespoons butter and add to potatoes along with brown sugar. Toss well. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- 3Melt remaining 2 Tablespoons butter in large heavy skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onions and granulated sugar and cook, stirring often, until until onions are rich brown in color, 20-30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Coat 9x13 dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place half the potatoes evenly in bottom baking dish. Spread all onions over potatoes. Sprinkle with Canadian bacon. Spread top with remaining potatoes. Pour chicken stock over mixture.
- 5To prepare Topping, combine bread crumbs, cheese, thyme and sage in bowl. Sprinkle over top. Dot with butter. (Gratin can be prepared 1 day ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 30 minutes before baking.)
- 6Bake, uncovered, at 375F degrees until potatoes are hot and topping is browned, about 30 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Sweet potatoes have tan skin and pale yellow, almost golden, flesh, while yams have copper-colored skin and deep orange flesh. Either works well in this recipe