Russian Winter Stew
I couldn't believe it! I was eating a stew with dried plums, though very unusual it was an unforgettable bowl of goodness.
Well, never ventured to try and make it till now. I had a challenge to make a soup with some type of orange in it from the "Power of Orange" group in Town Square. When, I was thinking about a soup, stew or chili to make somehow my thoughts went back to Russia on a cold winter night. I tried my best to recreate that stew and add some delicious orange. So, this is my version of a delicious stew I once had in Russia on a cold winter's night. (30 below...is cold even for this Northerner).
The taste & texture of this stew is rich, spicy and hearty. It also reminded me of a beef stew I had in an Irish pub called Elephant and Castle. This probably could be made with a dark beer and beef broth too.
- 2 lb
- beef stew meat
- 1 lb
- potatoes, cut in medium pieces
- 2 - 3 medium
- carrots, chopped
- 15 - 20 medium
- dried plums, pitted (otherwise, prunes)
- 1/4 c
- orange marmalade
- 1 Tbsp
- balsamic vinegar (i used a blood orange balsamic)
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 1/2 c
- marsala wine
- 1 - 1 1/2 c
- orange carrot juice or orange juice
- 2 medium
- bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp
- ancho chili pepper
- 1 small
- dried red pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- onion powder with parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp
- thyme, dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can(s)
- biscuits or homemade biscuits, or rice or noodles
- i used wondra to thicken it. or you could use flour or cornstarch.
- orange zest and chopped parsley
How to Make Russian Winter Stew
- 1Add all your ingredients (except the dried plums) to your crockpot and let cook for 4 to 6 hours. I would start out with 1 cup of marsala and 1 cup of orange carrot juice and then add more if necessary. You will add the plums about 1/2 before ready to serve.
Garnish and serve over biscuits, rice or noodles.
Add your thickner when it comes closer to being done. If you have any questions on that just ask.
(If you add the plums any sooner they will fall apart.)
This is a very hearty dish and great for the Autumn weather.