Potatoes Au Gratin
I found the recipe on foodnetwork.com it is courtesy of B. Smith, B. Smith Entertaining and Cooking for Friends, Artisan, 1995.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/3 cunsalted butter, soften
1 1/2 lbidaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1/2 cgrated gruyere cheese
1/2 cfreshly grated parmesan cheese (can use kraft if you don't have fresh)
1 cheavy cream (use 1/2 milk and cream)
1/2 tspground black pepper
1/8 tsppaprika (can also use red pepper)
How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with about 1 tablespoon of the softened butter. (I use Pam instead of butter to cut down on the grease in the bottom of the dish.)
- Arrange a layer of potatoes in the baking dish, and sprinkle some of the cheeses over them.
- Continue layering potatoes and cheeses until you've used them all, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream with the salt & pepper, pour over the potatoes.
- Dot the remaining butter over the top and sprinkle wtih the paprika.
- Bake for 1 to 1/4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown on top.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.