Potatoes Au Gratin
I found the recipe on foodnetwork.com it is courtesy of B. Smith, B. Smith Entertaining and Cooking for Friends, Artisan, 1995.
- 1/3 c
- unsalted butter, soften
- 1 1/2 lb
- idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/2 c
- grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 c
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (can use kraft if you don't have fresh)
- 1 c
- heavy cream (use 1/2 milk and cream)
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp
- paprika (can also use red pepper)
How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with about 1 tablespoon of the softened butter. (I use Pam instead of butter to cut down on the grease in the bottom of the dish.)
- 3Arrange a layer of potatoes in the baking dish, and sprinkle some of the cheeses over them.
- 4Continue layering potatoes and cheeses until you've used them all, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk the cream with the salt & pepper, pour over the potatoes.
- 6Dot the remaining butter over the top and sprinkle wtih the paprika.
- 7Bake for 1 to 1/4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown on top.
- 8Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.