This is a "planover" for me. The amount of onions and flour vary on the amount of mashed potatoes you have left over.
Started making these years ago for the 2nd meal on Thanksgiving day. We would eat at 1:00 and then have another buffet type meal later.
- 2 to 3 c
- leftover mashed potatoes, made with butter and milk,
- 1/3 to 3/4 c
- flour, depends on the amt of potatoes
- 1/4 to 1/3 c
- grated onion
- 1 large
- extras, cooked crumbled bacon, bacon fat, leftover cooked meat
- 1 c
- seasoned breadcrumbs of your choice, i like italian.
How to Make Potato Pancakes
- 1In a large bowl, put your mashed potatoes, an egg, desired amount of grated onion,and enough flour to make the mixture hold well enough together to fry. it always takes more flour than I think it will.
- 2Add any desired leftovers, We like roast beef or bacon in this, even bacon fat gives a nice flavor.
- 3Make desired size patties. Roll in breadcrumbs.
- 4Sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs in the botom of the plate you are going to refrigerate them in.
- 5Put in a single layer on the prepared dish, cover and refridgerate until ready to fry.
- 6I like to deep fat fry, but certainly you could pan fry these as well. Cook at 350 degrees for 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden.