Ground Beef Philly Skillet
Hubby liked this dish because it's a meat and potatoes meal, the kids liked it because it has cheese.
To make the dish lower-fat, use fat-free cream cheese, and leave out the provolone. Instead of frying the potatoes, spray them with cooking oil and bake them on a non-stick cookie sheet in a 425 degree oven for about 30-45 minutes, turning once or twice (if cut smaller they will cook faster).
- 1 lb
- ground beef
- 4 medium
- or 2 large potatoes
- 1 medium
- bell pepper
- 1/2 medium
- 4 oz
- (1/2 of an 8-oz. pkg) sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 4 oz
- cream cheese (1/2 standard block)
- 2-3 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- 4 slice
- provolone cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Ground Beef Philly Skillet
- 1Dice green pepper and onion into 1/2 inch pieces or larger, depending on your preference.
- 2Peel and wash potatoes. Cut into 1-inch chunks. If desired, place potato chunks in a bowl of water for a few minutes to an hour to remove some of the starch. Drain well.
- 3Add potato chunks in a single layer to hot oil in a large skillet and cover. Cook potatoes 8-10 minutes on medium to medium-high heat, turning a couple of times until browned and medium-soft. When potatoes are done, remove to colander or paper towels to drain remaining oil. Keep warm by transferring to a cookie sheet and putting them into a warm (200 degree) oven.
- 4While potatoes are cooking, brown ground beef with onion, bell pepper and mushrooms on top of stove in a large oven-proof skillet, stirring occasionally. When beef is no longer pink, drain well and wipe any remaining fat from skillet.
- 5Scoop chunks of cream cheese into the skillet. Heat on low until softened. Return the ground beef mixture to skillet with the cream cheese and heat through, stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Add potatoes to ground beef/cream cheese mixture and toss gently. If desired, top with slices of provolone cheese and broil in skillet until cheese is melted. Serve on plates or in bowls.
- 7Serve with sliced tomatoes, salad, or other vegetable of your choice and perhaps some dinner rolls. Serves 4-6.