Parsnip-Sweet Potato Latkes
2 largeparsnips, peeled
2 mediumsweet potatoes, peeled
3shallotsm peeled and thinly sliced
2 Tbspall purpose flour
1 1/2 tspchopped fresh thyme
3/4 cvegetable oil, for frying
·sour cream, for garnish (optional)
How to Make Parsnip-Sweet Potato Latkes
- Using a food processor or box grater, grate parsnips and sweet potatoes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine parsnips, sweet potatoes, shallots, salt, egg whites, flour and thyme.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Working in batches, spoon 1/4 cup batter at a time on to the skillet and press down with a fork to flatten. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side, until crisp and browned. Drain on paper towels and keep warm for up to one hour in a 200F oven.
- Serve with sour cream, if desired.