★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 lbbaking potatoes
3/4 cbuttermilk warmed
1/4 cbutter melted
How to Make Mix and match mashed potato bakes
- Peel potatoes; cut into 2-inch pieces. Bring potatoes, 2 tsp. salt and water to cover to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; boil 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, return potatoes to Dutch oven, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally. 3 to 5 minutes or until potatoes are dry.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher to desired consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup warm buttermilk, 1/2 cup warm milk, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and 1 tsp. salt, stirring just until blended.
- This is the basic potatoe recipe. Now here's 5 ways to change it up. Prepare above recipe but increase buttermilk to 1 1/4 cups. Stir in one of the combos below, and spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 2 1/2-qut. baking dish or 6(10-oz) ramekins. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Smoky Sweet Potato: 1 cup mashed baked sweet potatoes and 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Creamy Spinach:(5-oz) package fresh baby spinach cooked until wilted; 1(5 1/5-oz) package buttery garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese; and 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans.
- Caramelized Onion; 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Gruyere cheese, 1 cup chopped caramelized onions, and 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley.
- Bacon and Blue: 1(4-oz) wedge blue cheese, crumbled, and 8 cooked and crumbled bacon slices.
- Tasty Tex-Mex: 1(4.5-oz) can chopped green chiles, 1 1/4 cups (5 oz) shredded pepper jack cheese, and 1/2 cup finely chopped cooked chorizo sausage.