How to Make Milwaukee Potato Pancakes (Latkes)
- 1Either by hand or with a food processor grate or finely shred the potatoes. I Usually use about 1/2 grated and 1/2 finely shredded. The resulting potatoes should be a lot finer than hash browns. Now, very important...Squeeze as much liquid out of the potatoes as you can. Either by hand or by twisting them in a clean dish towel. Grate the onion. Add the eggs, salt and pepper, and flour. Stir to blend well.
- 2Heat the oil to a medium frying temperature. A little bacon drippings added can't hurt.
- 3Put the potato mixture into the oil by heaping tablespoons full. Flatten the potatoes with a pancake turner. Fry until golden brown on the bottom. Flip them over and fry the other side.
- 4Drain on paper towels. Serve them immediately with applesauce or sour cream on top or on the side. (It's a dunking kind of thing...lol)
- 5While this recipe is actually based in Jewish cooking it's even better with pork than beef.