Madeiran Potatoes with Egg and Cheese
- 1 lb
- boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into medium cubes
- hard boiled eggs, peeled and yolk and white separated
- 1 c
- milk, divided
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 1/4 c
- finely chopped onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 c
- grated havarti cheese
- 1 Tbsp
- finely chopped parsley
How to Make Madeiran Potatoes with Egg and Cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2In a pot, boil the potatoes in salted water until for tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- 3In a small bowl, combine just the egg yolk with 1/2 cup of the milk, mashing them into a "sauce".
- 4Chop the egg whites and reserve.
- 5Mix remaining milk, butter, onion, salt, pepper and hot sauce in a large bowl. Add the egg yolk mixture and the cooked potatoes to the bowl and turn to coat. Transfer to an oven-proof baking dish (lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray). Top with the cheese.
- 6Bake in oven just long enough to turn golden on top. Serve with garnish of finely chopped parsley and chopped egg white.