Madeiran Potatoes with Egg and Cheese
1 lbboiling potatoes, peeled and cut into medium cubes
2hard boiled eggs, peeled and yolk and white separated
1 cmilk, divided
1 Tbspbutter, softened
1/4 cfinely chopped onion
·salt and pepper, to taste
·hot sauce, to taste (optional)
1/2 cgrated havarti cheese
1 Tbspfinely chopped parsley
How to Make Madeiran Potatoes with Egg and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a pot, boil the potatoes in salted water until for tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a small bowl, combine just the egg yolk with 1/2 cup of the milk, mashing them into a "sauce".
- Chop the egg whites and reserve.
- Mix remaining milk, butter, onion, salt, pepper and hot sauce in a large bowl. Add the egg yolk mixture and the cooked potatoes to the bowl and turn to coat. Transfer to an oven-proof baking dish (lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray). Top with the cheese.
- Bake in oven just long enough to turn golden on top. Serve with garnish of finely chopped parsley and chopped egg white.