Macroni and Cheesy Sweet Potato Casserole
The creamy sweet potato adds a nice, thick sauce to this classic mac & cheese casserole with just a little kick.
Who knew Kix cereal would taste so good! Just the right crunch for the cheese topping.
- 15 oz
- can sweet potatoes,well drained and mashed
- 1/2 c
- coconut milk
- 4 c
- 1/3 c
- 3 oz
- pkg. cream cheese, cut in cubes
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- each white pepper and cayenne pepper
- 5 c
- sharp white cheddar cheese -may add more if desired
- 1 lb
- elbow macaroni or your favorite pasta shells work great too
- 1 1/2 c
- kix cereal, slightly crushed
How to Make Macroni and Cheesy Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1Heat oven to 375^. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non stick buttery oil. Set aside.
Put drained sweet potatoes in food processor. Pulse for 2 or 3 times then add the coconut milk and pulse until blended and smooth..Set aside.
- 2Warm milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add the flour. Cook and whisk for about 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour the hot milk in a slow stream to keep the mixture smooth and creamy.Add the cream cheese chunks. Keep whisking until mixture bubbles and becomes thick and smooth,about 9 minutes.Remove pan from heat.
- 3Stir in nutmeg,white pepper, cayenne, and sweet potato mixture. Mix until blended.
Stir in 3 1/2 cups of the cheese. Set aside.
Cook pasta in boiling water for only 5 minutes, drain. Add pasta to the potato/cheese sauce and pour into prepared pan. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with the crushed kix on top.
Bake until golden on top and bubbly, 30 minutes.