Lena's Loaded Pierogi Casserole
about 8 medium/large russet potatoes
2/3 csour cream
·salt & pepper to taste
1 lbbacon, cut up
2onions, peeled and diced
6-8 clovegarlic, minced
1 - 12 ozpackage lasagna noodles
4 cshreaded cheddar cheese
·sour cream left from container after mashing potatoes
·fresh chopped green onions or chives
How to Make Lena's Loaded Pierogi Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with water to cover. Add salt and cook over until the potatoes are tender. While potatoes are cooking, brown bacon in a large skillet until done. Scoop out with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels, reserving bacon grease in skillet.
- In the skillet you cooked the bacon in, drain all but about 3 Tbl bacon grease. Saute onion
and garlic for 5 to 10 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Drain potatoes when done. Combine with the milk, 2/3 cup sour cream (the remaining is for topping each serving of casserole), butter, salt & pepper to taste. Mash and add 2/3 of the browned bacon, 1/2 of the cheddar cheese, and 1/2 of the sauted onion mixture. Stir and set aside.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions and cool under running water.
- Place a smear of the mashed potatoes into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish that has
been sprayed with Pam. Followed by a layer of lasagna noodles. Repeat this with layers of
potatoes and noodles. Then arrange the remaining bacon, onion and garlic mixture, and lastly, the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Spray a piece of heavy duty foil with Pam(so cheese doesn't stick to it) and cover casserole. Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Let set 10 minutes before cutting. Garnish each piece with sour cream and chopped fresh chives or green onions if desired. Enjoy!