COUNTY MAYO COLCANNON
- 1 lb
- green cabbage( or kale if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 lb
- 1 1/2 c
- half and half(or milk if you prefer)
- salt and pepper to taste
- very small dash of ground mace( i prefer to use nutmeg as it isn't as strong but is basically the same thing as mace)
- 1/4-1/2 c
How to Make COUNTY MAYO COLCANNON
- 1In a large saucepan, boil cabbage(or kale) until tender; remove and chop or blend well. Set aside and keep warm.**I prefer to chop my cabbage FIRST(before boiling or sauteing) AND I prefer to saute the cabbage in butter or bacon grease instead of boiling**
- 2Boil peeled and cut up potatoes until tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- 3Chop leeks, green parts and white parts as well, and simmer them in just enough half and half(or milk) to cover, until they are soft.
- 4Season and mash potatoes well. Stir in cooked leeks and half and half(or milk). Blend in the kale or cabbage and heat until thoroughly heated. Make a well in the center and pour in the melted butter. Mix well and serve.