I got the recipe from food.com. It said the recipe came from a Jane Brody cookbook.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 lbpotatoes, red or yukon (i used russet)
4 cshredded green cabbage
1 cchopped onions
3 ozcheddar cheese or 3 oz. hard cheese, grated
·salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Colcannon
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.
- Drain, reserving the liquid, and set them aside to cool. Using the reserved potato water, boil the cabbage and onion for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mash potatoes with milk, butter, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the reserved onion and cabbage mixture.
- Mix 2/3 of the cheese with the potatoes and transfer to a greased casserole or shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
- Heat in a moderately hot oven and let cheese on top brown slightly. (I used a 350 degree oven)