I got the recipe from food.com. It said the recipe came from a Jane Brody cookbook.
- 1 lb
- potatoes, red or yukon (i used russet)
- 4 c
- shredded green cabbage
- 1 c
- chopped onions
- 1/4 c
- 1 Tbsp
- 3 oz
- cheddar cheese or 3 oz. hard cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Colcannon
- 1Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.
- 2Drain, reserving the liquid, and set them aside to cool. Using the reserved potato water, boil the cabbage and onion for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 3Mash potatoes with milk, butter, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Add the reserved onion and cabbage mixture.
- 5Mix 2/3 of the cheese with the potatoes and transfer to a greased casserole or shallow baking dish.
- 6Sprinkle with remaining cheese on top.
- 7Heat in a moderately hot oven and let cheese on top brown slightly. (I used a 350 degree oven)