Cheesy/Spicy Smashed Red Potatoes
Andy Anderson !
- 3 or 4 medium
- red potatoes, about 6 ounces
- green onions, sliced, white parts only
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh chives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp
- sweet butter, unsalted
- 1/2 tsp
- dijon mustard
- 1 pinch
- cayenne pepper, or to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch
How to Make Cheesy/Spicy Smashed Red Potatoes
- 2Drain the potatoes, and then return them to the pot, and cook a bit longer, until all the excess water is evaporated, about 1 minute.
- 3Add the green onions (white parts), cream cheese, butter, mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- 6Chef’s Note: Why red potatoes? These are also called waxy potatoes. They have a thin, smooth skin and an almost waxy flesh. They are high in moisture and sugar, but low in starch. They work great in soups, casseroles, potato salad, and roasting, because they hold their shape. When you mash them, the results tend to be thick and lumpy. Which is perfect for this side dish.