Candied Sweet Potato Side Dish
- 2 lb
- sweet potatoes, from produce
- 1/4 c
- butter or margarine
- 1/4 c
- brown sugar, not packed
- 1 large
- or 2 small tart apples like granny smith,cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 c
- sliced green onion
- 1 c
- fresh uncooked cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp
- each pepper and kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 c
- walnuts pieces, optional
How to Make Candied Sweet Potato Side Dish
- 1Cook sweet potatoes in microwave oven until done-about 8-10 minutes; but still feel firm when pressed with a potholder or Oven Glove.It depends, more or less, on the size of the potatoes as to the baking time.
- 2Cool the potatoes to room temperature. Chill in refrigerator overnight, uncovered.
This chilling time firms the flesh, making them hold up better in the skillet.
- 3Next day:
Peel and cut potatoes in bite size pieces. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat; melt 3 Tablespoons of the butter and the brown sugar. Add the apple pieces and sauté, stirring occasionally, until apple begins to caramelize and brown around the edges, takes about 5 minutes.
- 4Add remaining butter and stir in onion and cranberries. Cook one minute. Stir in spices, add potato and sauté about 4 minutes (potatoes will break apart a little- just be gentle).
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to serving dish and serve hot, warm or at room temperature. This is an awesome side dish!!
These are great served with Marshmallow Sauce:
1 jar marshmallow creme
1/2 c. heavy cream
Place in blender and whip up until well blended. Serve over potatoes.