Bill Knapp's Awesome Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lb
- russet potatoes (i use about 6-7 medium sized)
- 2 c
- milk (use whole milk)
- 1/2 c
- butter (use real butter, do not substitute oleo)
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 tsp
- instant chicken bullion granules
- 6 oz
- velveeta cheese (you can substitute 6 slices of american cheese, if desired)
How to Make Bill Knapp's Awesome Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1Peel and cut potatoes into approximately 1/2" cubes. Place in heavy saucepan and cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 20 min or until tender. Drain well and pat with paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. Spray a 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and add potatoes. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 2After potatoes have thoroughly chilled, melt butter in a large sauce pan. Whisk in salt and flour until well blended. Gradually stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add paprika, pepper, bullion, and cheese. Cook and continue to stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove potatoes from refrigerator and pour cheese sauce over the potatoes. Gently stir, folding until well mixed. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- 4SPECIAL NOTE: If you double this recipe, it fits nicely into a 9 X 13 baking dish. You can also divide into individual sized mini casserole dishes, which is the same way that Bill Knapp's served it.