5 lbgold potatoes
1 lbsharp cheddar
24 ozsour cream
7 slicethick cut bacon
1/2 cmargarine or butter
1/4 cheavy cream
1 bunchgreen onions, thinly sliced
3 Tbspeach olive oil and bacon fat
3 tspcoarse sea salt
2 tspsmoked black pepper
How to Make Baked Potato Casserole
- Peel potatoes and reserve the skin.
Chop the potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks and boil until fork tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add bacon fat and olive oil.
Toss the reserved potato skins with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
Preheat your oven to High Broil.
- Fry the potato skins in the fat until they are tender, then put under the broiler until they crisp and brown. Set to the side on a plate and turn oven from Broil to 450*.
- Cream the potatoes with the butter, cream and sour cream. Add the remaining salt, pepper and the green onions. Stir well to combine.
- Place the slices of bacon on an 11" x 15" pan and place in oven. Cook until brown and crisp.
- Remove from the pan and let cool. Spread the mashed potatoes over the pan.
Spread the cheese over the potatoes and sprinkle with the skins and the bacon.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.