- 5 lb
- gold potatoes
- 1 lb
- sharp cheddar
- 24 oz
- sour cream
- 7 slice
- thick cut bacon
- 1/2 c
- margarine or butter
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream
- 1 bunch
- green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp
- each olive oil and bacon fat
- 3 tsp
- coarse sea salt
- 2 tsp
- smoked black pepper
How to Make Baked Potato Casserole
- 1Peel potatoes and reserve the skin.
Chop the potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks and boil until fork tender, 15-20 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add bacon fat and olive oil.
Toss the reserved potato skins with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
Preheat your oven to High Broil.
- 3Fry the potato skins in the fat until they are tender, then put under the broiler until they crisp and brown. Set to the side on a plate and turn oven from Broil to 450*.
- 4Cream the potatoes with the butter, cream and sour cream. Add the remaining salt, pepper and the green onions. Stir well to combine.
- 5Place the slices of bacon on an 11" x 15" pan and place in oven. Cook until brown and crisp.
- 6Remove from the pan and let cool. Spread the mashed potatoes over the pan.
Spread the cheese over the potatoes and sprinkle with the skins and the bacon.
- 7Bake for 10-15 minutes.