Au Gratin Potatoes, Very Easy
You can put literally any combination of cheeses, I have seen professional chefs put 4 and 5 different cheeses in their sauce. I usualy just use cheddar, but everyone has their own favorites.
I like the addition of mustard if it is a cheese sauce, for just a white sauce you could leave it out.
- 3 large
- potatoes, russets work well here
- 1 medium
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, please don't subsitute
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 2 c
- whole milk (yes you can use reduced calorie, but it is not as good)
- 1/2 tsp
- each salt and pepper , or to taste
- 1 tsp
- dry mustard ( this is optional, like this in the cheese version)
- 8 oz
- grated cheese, i like sharp cheddar, but any combo you like is just fine
- 1/4 tsp
- paprika, for garnish
How to Make Au Gratin Potatoes, Very Easy
- 2Put the potatoes and onions in a sauce pan, cover with cold water, and cook until fork tender. You don't want the potatoes mushy, after all you are going to bake them too.
- 3Pour potatoes and onions into a drainer.
- 4Meanwhile while the potatoes and onions cook make your sauce.
- 6Stir in the milk a little at a time. stirring to make smooth. Continue to cook until the sauce starts to bubble and thicken. Watch it keep stirring, and don't walk away.
Congradulations beginner!!!! You have just made a white sauce, one of the mother sauces. You will never know how thick your sauce is until it comes to a boil.