Aloo in red sauce (potato in tomato sauce)
here is my version of the recipe just for you!
2 largepotatoes (russet/steakhouse), boiled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 can(s)hunt's tomato sauce
1 1/2 tspsambar powder
1 1/2 tspgaram masala
1 tspcumin seeds
·salt to taste
1 tspturmeric powder
2 Tbspvegetable oil
1 tspfinely chopped cilantro
1 tsplemon juice
·cooking spray (olive oil)
How to Make Aloo in red sauce (potato in tomato sauce)
- Take a baking dish, grease it with cooking oil spray, and arrange the potato cubes in the dish so as to leave at least a little gap between two pieces. Now spray the cooking oil on each piece. Preheat oven to 400 F and bake the potato cubes for 20 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Meanwhile, take a fresh pan, add oil and after the oil heats up, add the cumin seeds and let them fry a little say for about 2 min. Now add the tomato paste and since it is a dry paste, add ½ cup of water. Using a spatula, mix and blend the water and paste well.
- Get the mixture to a boil for about 10 min on med-high, turn the heat to low and add the salt, turmeric powder, sambar powder and garam masala.Now slowly increase the heat, stirring the mixture with a spatula and stir in ½ more cup of water.
- Now slowly increase the heat, stirring the mixture with a spatula and stir in ½ more cup of water. Cook till it comes to gravy consistency for about 15 min.
- Now add the baked potato cubes slowly to prevent splattering of the gravy and then add the lemon juice. Bring it to a boil in about 5 min and turn the heat off
- Transfer the contents to a serving dish and then add cilantro before serving. Serve Hot!!
- To check the heat of the pan/oil, place your palm above the dish. If you feel hot air blowing considerably (to an extent which can dry a wet palm), that is the correct heat. Immediately turn the heat to med-low to avoid burning the ingredients and start cooking.
- For people suffering from reflux, you can use extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- Baking the potato reduces the fat by more than 50%
- Boiling the potato, before baking it reduces the baking time. However, if you want to directly bake the potatoes, preheat the oven to 400 F and bake them for at least 45 minutes to maximum 1 hr to get the golden brown coloration
- Generally adding the cilantro before serving, or using it for decoration will add a nice aroma to the dish. Stirring in the cilantro, will add a whole new flavor to the dish which some people might or not enjoy.