No-Boil Mac & Cheese Formula
It's an easy recipe to play with. I've done things like exchanging half the milk and half the cheese for mashed butternut squash with good results. You can add ham or vegetables or anything you like. If you add a vegetable, adjust for the water content of the vegetable by reducing the milk or adding pasta.
- 1 c
- dry (uncooked) elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- 4 oz
- cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- black or white pepper, ground
- 1 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp
- smooth mustard, e.g. dijon
- 2 c
- 1/2 c
- optional: hard cheese, grated (e.g. parmesan, romano, asiago, etc.)
- 1/4 tsp
- optional: nutmeg, freshly grated
THIS RECIPE IS GIVEN AS A BASIC FORMULA THAT CAN BE MULTIPLIED FOR LARGER BATCHES AND ADJUSTED TO INCLUDE OTHER INGREDIENTS
How to Make No-Boil Mac & Cheese Formula
- 1Preheat the oven to 375F
- 2Determine how many cups of macaroni you wish to use and multiply all ingredients by that number.
For example, a 1 pound box of macaroni is a little more than 3 cups of macaroni. Therefore, the recipe using this box of macaroni uses 6 tablespoons of butter, 12 ounces of grated cheese, and 6 cups of milk -- all "plus a little" in this case because the box had "a little more than" 3 cups.
If making a large batch, use a bit less salt.
- 3In a large bowl (a big salad bowl works well for this), toss the macaroni in the melted butter until coated. Add the grated cheese, salt and pepper. Toss to mix thoroughly.
- 4Spread the mixture evenly in a shallow baking dish. Use a pan large enough that the mixture fills the pan less than 1/2 way. For example, a 1 pound (3+ cups) of macaroni batch, needs a 10 x 15 lasagna dish.
- 5Mix together milk, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Pour over the pasta mixture. Optionally, sprinkle hard cheese and nutmeg on top of the mixture.
- 6Bake, covered, in the middle of a 375F oven for 45 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until all the milk has been absorbed and the top is golden brown. If the top starts to get too brown, cover loosely with foil for the last part of the baking.
- 7Allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.