Rice Pilaf With Pasta
Feel free to make it your own by adding raisins, golden raisins, mushrooms or whatever you have on hand. Great with grilled chicken or fish or as a light, vegetarian meal in itself.
Photo shown is with the addition of a few handfuls of craisins and about a TB. of freshly grated orange zest, added a minute or two before the end of cooking time.
1 clong grain rice
1/2 ctiny pasta (orzo) or spaghetti broken into 1 inch lengths
2 3/4 cchicken broth (i like to use "better than bouillon"
1 Tbspdried parsley
1/2 tsponion powder
1 tspgarlic powder
2 mediumcarrots, finely chopped
1 pkgtoasted almonds
1/4 tspfreshly ground pepper
How to Make Rice Pilaf With Pasta
- Melt butter in a large, deep skillet or Dutch Oven.
- Add rice, pasta, carrots and onions and saute until onion is soft and rice begins to turn golden brown. Add garlic during last minute.
- Stir in broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Cover and simmer on low for approximately 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Add parsley and check seasonings. Sometimes you have to add more salt depending on how salty your chicken broth is.
- Place in serving dish and top with toasted almonds right before serving.