Caramelized Cabbage and Pasta
This lovely dish is so good you'll forget that you are not overly fond of cabbage.
Give this comfort dish a try, you will be happy you did.
·2 cups of cabbage, cut into 11/2" squares
·2 slices bacon, cut into small dices
·4 - 6 tbsp bacon grease, or butter or oil
·2 1/2 tbsp white sugar
·2 large onions, finely diced, yellow or sweet
·1/2 cup beef stock (use a little as necessary)
·1 tsp salt
·1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
·1 cup of pasta, small flat egg noodle
·2 tsp parsley, fresh chopped, garnish
How to Make Caramelized Cabbage and Pasta
- Cut the cabbage into small squares, (no stalk) then finely dice the onion. Set aside until needed.
Next cut the bacon into small pieces and add to a hot frying pan and cook down.
- Lower the heat and add the sugar to the pan with the bacon and allow to caramelize, then slowly and carefully mix in the onions, braising briefly (5 minutes) and then add the cabbage.
- Season the cabbage with salt and pepper and pour a little beef stock over the cabbage and steam for 30 minutes or until soft. (adding a little more stock if necessary).
You do not want it to become to wet.
- While the cabbage is steaming; bring water and salt to a boil in a large pot and cook the pasta al dente.
Then, strain, and rinse in cold water, making sure to drain really well.
- Just before serving add the drained pasta and heat again briefly (if necessary).
Taste the cabbage to see if you need to season more and garnish with chopped parsley.