★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 5 c
- elbow macaroni, cooked
- 8 Tbsp
- 8 Tbsp
- white flour
- 2 c
- whole milk
- 8 oz
- heavy whipping cream
- 10 oz
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 oz
- frank's red hot sauce
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- cracked black pepper
How to Make Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- 1Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Do not allow butter to brown.
- 2Once all the butter has melted, add the flour and stir continuously. Do NOT allow the flour mixture (roux) to brown. You must stir continuously. A wire whisk is best for this task.
- 3You are creating a roux! This is a basic sauce that can be used for different purposes. Here, it will be the basis of a delicious cheese sauce.
- 4Once the rawness of the flour has been cooked off, you will add the two cups of whole milk, whisking continuously.
- 5Once the milk has combined thoroughly with the flour mixture, add the following ingredients: heavy whipping cream, salt and cracked black pepper.
- 6Your roux will begin to thicken, continue whisking continuously. You want to avoid any lumps, and the vigorous whisking will help you avoid this.
- 7Once the mixture has thickened, add the Frank's red hot sauce and 6 of the 8 ounces of shredded cheese. Remove from heat immediately, and continue whisking until the cheddar has melted.
- 8In a large baking pan (glass or metal is fine),put the cooked macaroni on the bottom, then cover