★★★★★ 1 vote5
5 celbow macaroni, cooked
8 Tbspwhite flour
2 cwhole milk
8 ozheavy whipping cream
10 ozsharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 ozfrank's red hot sauce
1/2 tspcracked black pepper
How to Make Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Do not allow butter to brown.
- Once all the butter has melted, add the flour and stir continuously. Do NOT allow the flour mixture (roux) to brown. You must stir continuously. A wire whisk is best for this task.
- You are creating a roux! This is a basic sauce that can be used for different purposes. Here, it will be the basis of a delicious cheese sauce.
- Once the rawness of the flour has been cooked off, you will add the two cups of whole milk, whisking continuously.
- Once the milk has combined thoroughly with the flour mixture, add the following ingredients: heavy whipping cream, salt and cracked black pepper.
- Your roux will begin to thicken, continue whisking continuously. You want to avoid any lumps, and the vigorous whisking will help you avoid this.
- Once the mixture has thickened, add the Frank's red hot sauce and 6 of the 8 ounces of shredded cheese. Remove from heat immediately, and continue whisking until the cheddar has melted.
- In a large baking pan (glass or metal is fine), put the cooked macaroni on the bottom, then cover