- 4 qt
- watermelon rind, green skin trimmed and any pink flesh, cut into 1" squares
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 qt
- white distilled vinegar
- 8 c
- 1/4 c
- crumbled cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp
- whole cloves
- 1 small
- lemon, thinly sliced
How to Make Watermelon Rind Pickles
- 1Place rind in a large stockpot. Add salt and enough water to cover. Simmer over low heat until the rind is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and chill in very cold water for 2-6 hours.
- 2Combine vinegar and sugar in a large pot and bring to a boil on high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar completely. Reduce heat to low. Tie the cinnamon and cloves in a square of cheesecloth and add to the syrup; add rind to syrup and simmer over low heat until the rind become slightly transparent, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard the spice bag.
- 3Pack the rind and syrup into hot sterilized pint canning jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Wipe the jar rims with a clean, damp cloth, fit them with the hot lids and tightly screw on the metal rings.
- 4Process in a bath of boiling water (the water should cover the jars by 1") for 10 minutes. Then cool on wire rack, and store in a cool dark place. Refrigerate after opening. Makes 4 pints.