Super Spinach and Onion Kugel
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I snuck a bite of the spinach mix before I combined it with the noodles, and it was really tasty. I knew I'd like this dish once cooked. I did cover this with tinfoil about halfway through baking to make sure the noodles didn't get too hard. This was a big hit in the Test Kitchen! The Test Kitchen
116 ounce package wide egg noodles (note: if you want to keep this kosher, use the kosher noodles they put out in the store surrounding the jewish holidays)
4 boxfrozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 cunsalted butter, melted
116 ounce container sour cream (i use the light version)
2envelopes dry onion soup mix (lipton or the store brand)
1 dash(es)black pepper
1 tspvanilla extract
1 dash(es)garlic powder (not garlic salt... there's enough salt flavor from the soup mix)
How to Make Super Spinach and Onion Kugel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook and drain the egg noodles according to package directions.
Thaw and drain the spinach well - take the time to really drain out as much water as possible.
- Beat the eggs then add in the melted butter (allow to cool a bit), sour cream, onion soup mix, pepper, garlic powder and vanilla extract. Beat well.
- Fold in the spinach and mix well with a spoon.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for an hour (or until done depending on the finickiness of your oven. It should be golden brown. Watch it toward the end, and if it starts to brown too quickly, cover with foil.