Spicy Apple Baked Beans
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Who knew that sausage and apples in baked beans would be so good?! The spicy/sweet combination in this recipe is divine. It will be a big hit at your next BBQ. The Test Kitchen
- 55 oz
- can of bush's original baked beans
- 1 large
- apple (i used fuji.), diced or cut into chunks
- 1/2 c
- natural applesauce
- fresh grated nutmeg to taste
- 2 Tbsp
- dijon mustard
- 1 pinch
- small pinch, cayenne pepper
- 2-4 Tbsp
- brown sugar, light
- 1 lb
- hot ground sausage (i used venison sausage.)
- 1 small
- onion, diced
How to Make Spicy Apple Baked Beans
- 1Brown the sausage with the onions. Drain off grease.
- 2Place the applesauce, apple chunks, mustard, brown sugar, cayenne pepper into a bowl. Grate in fresh nutmeg. It only takes a little nutmeg. Too much will overpower the other flavors. Stir together until mixed well.
- 3In large bowl, mix the spicey apple mixture into the beans. Add sausage and onions. Fold in.
- 4Bake in a glass or stoneware dish at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.