Southern Buttermilk Cornbread
How to Make Southern Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F
- 2Place shortening in 9-inch skillet with ovenproof handle or 8-inch square baking pan.
- 3Place in oven about 3 minutes. Skillet will be very hot when shortening is melted.
- 4While skillet is heating, in large bowl combine corn meal, flour, salt and baking soda; add buttermilk and egg, mixing well.
- 5Pour batter into hot prepared skillet.
- 6Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until surface cracks and edges are light golden brown and pull away from side of pan. Serve hot with butter.