How to Make PARMESAN FOAM (SALLYE)
- Cut the cheese into 1/2 inch squares and place in the top pan of a double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler, you can use a heatproof bowl or heavy saucepan.
- Add the half-and half to the pan with cheese.
Place the pan or bowl over a pan of simmering water. Do not allow the water to boil.
- Allow the cheese to melt slowly and evenly. Stir with a wooden spoon frequently to avoid scorching.
DO NOT LET IT BOIL!
- It will take 10-15 minutes for the cheese to completely melt. At this point, remove from heat and pour into a heatproof bowl. It will resemble a cheese sauce but won't be completely smooth.
- Cool to room temperature, then cove with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
After a couple of hours, it will resemble a firm ricotta cheese.
- Great as an accompaniment to fruit dishes, salads, or steamed/sautéed vegetables. Can also be used as a spread for sandwiches.