PA Dutch pickled eggs & red beets
This works out great for me, as my kids love the eggs, & I love the beets. I add an onion to this sometimes, and it's good.
- 1 can(s)
- 14-oz. sliced red beets
- 1 c
- apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 c
- whole cloves
- cinnamon sticks
- hard boiled eggs, cooled & peeled
- salt & pepper
How to Make PA Dutch pickled eggs & red beets
- 1Drain the red beets & reserve the juice. To the juice, add enough water so you're getting one cup of liquid.
- 2Add liquid to saucepan, & add vinegar, sugar, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and some salt. Bring to a boil, stirring. Pour the sauce over the beets. Let cool just a bit.
- 3Transfer to a large glass bowl or jar (my Meme Koletar had her special "pickled beet jar".) Refrigerate this for about 12 hours or so. When that time is up....
- 4Add the peeled, hard-boiled eggs to the marinade & refrigerate overnight or 8-12 hours. Make sure you stir the eggs every so often so that the beet color becomes even on them. Nothing is sadder than seeing a pickled egg that only has one side of it lovely & deep purple. Then, cut the eggs in half & serve w/ the beets. Sprinkle w/ black pepper to your taste.