Mum's Chili Sauce
24ripe, red tomatoes
3sweet red peppers
3green bell peppers
1 Tbspcinnamon stick, broken
2pieces ginger root
1 tspwhole clove
1 tspwhole allspice
2 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
2 1/2 ccider vinegar
2 Tbspcoarse salt
How to Make Mum's Chili Sauce
- Scald, peel and chop ripe tomatoes and put in a colander to drain off excess juice.
- Chop green tomatoes, peel and chop onions, remove core and seeds from peppers and cut in strips.
- Combine all vegetables in preserving kettle, cook slowly for about one hour, stirring frequently.
- Tie spices loosely in a cheesecloth bag and add to mixture. Add vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Simmer about one hour longer or until thick and there seems to be no more free liquid. Watch closely and stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars while hot and seal at once.