Mamie's Tomato Aspic
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 pkg
- or 2 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
- 1 qt
- or 4 cups of tomato juice, divided
- zest of one lemon, finely grated
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of onion salt to taste
How to Make Mamie's Tomato Aspic
- 1In earlier years, aspic was made from home-grown and home-preserved tomato juice-rich in flavor, but inexpensive. An advantage to aspic was that it could be made ahead--way ahead. It is colorful, nutritious, satisfying and slimming.
- 2Soften gelatin in 1/2 cup cold tomato juice for 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, heat 3 1/2 cups tomato juice; stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Cool. Add the zest and the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and onion salt to taste. Pour into a ring mold that holds 6-8 cups; chill until set.
- 3When ready to serve, unmold on a round platter and fill the center of the ring with a mixed salad of your choice. (We like bay shrimp mixed with Thousand Island dressing, or maybe your favorite coleslaw with fresh peas?!