KENTUCKY BUTTER BEANS
- 1 lb
- dry butter beans (or about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. fresh, see *note)
- 1 tsp
- olive oil or bacon grease
- 1/4 c
- country ham, chopped small
- 1/4 c
- diced sweet onion (such as vidalia)
- 1/8 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 10 c
- water (see *note)
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp
- ham bouillon soup base (see * note)
- chives for garnish (optional)
- green tomato relish for garnish (optional)
How to Make KENTUCKY BUTTER BEANS
- 1*Note: May substitute homemade ham broth for water (all or part) and bouillon; adjust salt accordingly. May also substitute fresh beans for dried, omitting the soaking and adjusting weight and liquid amount for fresh beans. Fresh will require only half the cooking time.
- 2The night before cooking, rinse dry beans well, removing any stones or questionable beans.
- 4The next day, begin the following steps at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours before serving. Gather and prep all ingredients.
- 5Drain beans, rinse well and set aside.
- 10Cover and cook over medium-low heat (fast simmer) for 45 minutes.
- 11Uncover, add salt and ham bouillon base, replace cover; simmer for additional 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until beans are tender.
- 12Taste test for seasoning; add salt and/or pepper as desired. Leave covered, on low heat, until ready to serve.