This is a simple recipe that adds just a little pazzazz to the run of the mill steamed choke.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 Tbspgalic salt
1 Tbspmexican oregano
2 Tbspolive oil
How to Make Grilled Artichokes
- Bring large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Remove top quarter of artichoke (bread knife works well for this) and trim pointed tips (kitchen sheers work well here) from the remaining leaves. Finally trim the stem to approximately 1/4 inch from the base of the artichoke.
- Place trimmed chokes in the boiling water and weigh down with a small plate to keep them submerged. Boil the artichokes until almost ready to eat. Knife should slide in the bottom (stem) with only a little resistence.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove from water and drain upside down until cool enough to handle.
- Slice each artichoke in half lengthwise. With a spoon, remove the think pinkish leaves and the hairy choke.
- In a large bowl, add the oil, garlic salt, juice from limes and oregano and liberally rub mixture onto and into each artichoke half.
- Grill each artichoke half turning occasionally until slightly charred, about 8-10 minutes. Serve with clarified butter, your favorite vinaigrette or mayonnaise with a little horseradish and a couple of dashes of hot pepper sauce.