Gram's Holiday Bread Filling
1 stickbutter or margarine (plus additional to coat baking dish and to dot top of casserole)
1 largeonion, chopped
3 - 4 stalk(s)celery, sliced
1/2 tspsalt (or more to taste)
1/4 tspfresh ground black pepper
1 - 2 tsppoultry seasoning (according to taste)
216-ounce loaves stale white bread (or equivalent amount of stale rolls (i like to use kaiser rolls)
2 cchicken broth
2-3 largeeggs, beaten
1 tspdried parsley flakes
How to Make Gram's Holiday Bread Filling
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the inside of a 3-4 quart baking dish with butter or margarine, Set aside.
- Place a 10-inch no-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter (or margarine), onion, celery, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onions become translucent but celery is still crisp/tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place chicken broth in a large bowl. Soak bread slices in broth, 4-5 slices at a time. Wring bbread slightly to remove some of the broth. Do this until all bread is soaked and most of the broth is used. Bread should be the consistency of cookie dough only slightly looser.
- Add celery mixture and poultry seasoning to bread. Add eggs and parsley flakes and mix well.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish. Dot with additional butter.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until hot, bubbly and browned around the edges.