FAVAS, Portuguese Favas
FAVA BEANS are large, shiny green beans, often called BROAD BEANS. (NOTE:According to my Fannie Farmer Cookbook, they are in the market in April, May and June. Directions: shell the beans, and cook them in enough water to cover.) THIS RECIPE calls for canned fava beans, Progresso produces them. This was a favorite with her family.
- 6 can(s)
- progresso fava beans
- 4 large
- green peppers, chopped
- 10 medium
- onions, chopped
- celery stalks, finely chopped
- margarine, or oil if preferred, for sauteing
- 10 Tbsp
- bay leaves, whole
- 5 can(s)
- 8 oz. each, tomatoe sauce (or 40 ounces)
- salt, garlic and paprika to taste!
- 1 Tbsp
How to Make FAVAS, Portuguese Favas
- 1In a large pot over a low flame, saute chopped peppers, onions, celery, herbs in margarine, until brown.
- 2Add salt, garlic and paprika to taste.
- 3Add tomato sauce, add beans last, and add 1 TBS. vinegar. If needed to reheat use tomatoe juice!